Saturday, March 22, 2014

2.1.4 Lecture Capture

Lecture capture is a tool for use with asynchronous learning. It combines hardware and software to capture and archive lectures using audio and video features. The audio/video is then made available on the Internet to students.

How would this resource function in the online classroom?
This resource could play a valuable role in the online classroom. Through lecture capture, the online teacher could demonstrate for students via video a process or hand-on approach to teaching and learning. In addition, students could have the ability to pause, stop, or rewind when they need clarity or do not understand a process. For me, as a business education teacher, I believe I could use lecture capture when demonstrating for students how to use software. For instance, I have used Camtasia Studio in the past with my students. I recorded my mouse movements and my voice to demonstrate for students how to perform certain tasks using a software program. I then made the recording available to them through the school's network. Then, if they had questions about something during class time, they did not have to wait for me to visit them at their desk. Instead, they could readily find what they were looking for by watching my pre-recorded video demonstrations. I believe this resource would function the same way int he online classroom. The only difference would be that the video would be posted online for students to watch on their own time.

How would the integration of lecture capture modify teaching methods?
The integration of this software would mean that instead of sitting down in front of the computer, and typing out lessons and instructions, the online instructor could sit down in front of a camera and lecture or demonstrate a process. This would eliminate the need for typing, spell checking, etc. Instead, the online instructor could act more like he is in the actual classroom and speak the information to students. In a way, this is better than the face-to-face classroom because students have the ability to pause and rewind the instructor in order to individualize their own learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment