Monday, March 3, 2014

Participate 1.1.2 Joining a DLC forum

I believe that citizens in an online environment can find reputable digital communities through their connections with others who share similar or like interests. Social networking is an excellent example. Through social networking, one can discover other who share similar interests and then possibly discover excellent opportunities for learning though digital learning communities.

I was drawn to the following DLCs:
FTA, CosmoLearning, Open Culture, Tufts Open Courseware, & Khan Academy.
Each of these DLCs stood out to me because of the vast amount information available. In addition, each DLC contained information that I am interested in or something I could easily use in my classroom. I also considered the fact that my students would view these resources as valuable and enjoyable.

I joined the Khan Academy. Honestly, I joined this DLC because I can easily incorporate this site into my current classroom. I believe this site would be an excellent supplement both inside and outside of the classroom.

The Khan Academy is organized by subject area. You can easily navigate to a particular subject and then locate a variety of materials based on the subject. For instance, I plan to use some of the Entrepreneur video clips in my current Entrepreneurship class.

As a teacher and digital citizen, I plan to encourage my students to use DLCs to locate supplemental information for the course. I could also make this process easier for students by narrowing down the search for them or alerting students to a good DLC that other students have located.

No comments:

Post a Comment